Amazing recipe I found for hearty easy healthy bread
|recipe and photo from hiddenfruitsandveggies.com|
- 4 ½ c white whole wheat flour
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds (optional: extra for top)
- 1 tbsp flax seeds (optional: extra for top)
- 1 tbsp poppy seeds
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 4 tsp dry active yeast
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 ½ c water, warm to the touch
- Prepare a bread/loaf pan by lining with parchment paper. Perfectly fitting to the an is not necessary as the dough will help weigh it down and expand to fill out the pan.
- Combine flour, salt, sesame seeds, flax, and sugar. Make a small well and add yeast. Mix vinegar and water, and pour into flour mixture. Stir until well combined. The dough will be sticky, no need to knead.
- Spoon the dough into the loaf pan. Smooth the top with the back of a spoon. Top with extra seeds, if desired.
- Place loaf pan into a cold oven. Set oven to 350° F (Yes! You will preheat the oven with the bread inside). Bake for one hour, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Let cool and slice.
Looking to lower the calories? Feel free to swap out the seeds for other favorites or leave out entirely to save ~55 calories a slice! Depending on the size/shape of your loaf pan, you might get more or fewer slices of bread out of one loaf.
Calories: 190 Fat: 5g Carbohydrates: 30g Fiber: 7gProtein: 8g
Original recipe: Kelly Hutchinson
Servings: 14 (24 if you separate in two loaf pans and let rise before baking)